Saturday, October 7, 2017

#7 - Club Dread (2004)

Following on the heels of last night's horror-comedy, Idle Hands, comes another horror comedy, Club Dread.  I picked this movie for several reasons, not least of which is the sloshy beer-and-alcohol fueled theme of tonight's movie, which fits in well with the final weekend of Oktoberfest this weekend.  Also, it's got Bill Paxton in it, which just always makes a movie better.

Broken Lizard's Club Dread (2004) is about a pleasure resort off the coast of Costa Rica, called Pleasure island.  Pleasure Island is owned by Coconut Pete, a retired singer who spends his days boozing it up with the resort staff, and his nights with the more attractive female guests.  But there's a legend on the island, the legend of Machete Phil, who hacked his own winkie off with a machete, and still prowls the island to this very day...  Winkieless, and pissed off.

This movie is a lot of fun, and gets right into the goofy mix of nudity, killing and alcohol-induced hijinks in the first few minutes.  Bill Paxton plays Coconut Pete, the boozy retired singer who bought Pleasure Island, and there's a bunch of other people who I think made Super Troopers, or were in it, or something.  MC Gainey is Pete's bodyguard.  Brittany Daniel plays Jenny, the Aerobics Instructor for the island, who looks incredibly good in a bikini.  The acting is pretty decent for a horror comedy, which I guess isn't saying much, but hey, it works.  There's nudity, and gore, and lots of hot machete action.  Plus, Pena-lope, played by Jordan Ladd.  She's a gymnast.  Yeah.  Not much else to say about Club Dread, except it was good, and funny, and even a little scary in spots.  I've seen it before, and I'll watch it again, if only to see Brittany Daniel in a bikini.  I caught this on MoreMax, one of the Cinemax channels.

I meant to watch the premiere of Superstition on Syfy last night, but I missed it!  Cheesedoodles!  I did see more of Exorcist, which is slowly building up to the plot, I guess.  I saw Inhumans again, which still has the royal family running around hawaii, trying to find each other.  I hope they don't keep this up for long.  Not sure what they'd do once they got together, though.  Bemoan the loss of Attilan, and start up a business making surfboards?  Too stereotypical for hawaii, perhaps?  Yeah.

Okay, that's all I got for tonight, folks.  Catch you guys tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...