Friday, October 20, 2017

#20 - 1922 (2017)

Yes, the title of this post is all numbers, no, it's not an error.  #20 is the review number, 1922 is the title of the movie (also a year), and (2017) is the year the movie was released (this one, in case you forgot what year this was, you time-addled nincompoop).  Everyone with me?  Good.  Moving on.

1922 (2017) is about a year in the life of a farmer.  Wilfred James has 80 acres of corn on a farm in Nebraska, something he is almost as proud of as his son, Henry James.  Wilfred plans to leave his 80 acres of corn to his son, but it would be nicer if Wilfred had his wife Arlette's 100 acres to give to Henry, too.  The only trouble is, Arlette wants to sell those acres to the local pig farmer, and move to Omaha and open a dress shop.  Wilfred can't stand the thought of a pig farmer right next door, or moving to Omaha, but his wife won't budge.  Not only is Arlene determined to sell her acreage, but she's going to want full custody of Henry, too!  What's a man to do...?

1922 is on Netflix, just out a day or two ago, and based on a short story by Stephen King.  Thomas Jane (The Mist, Dreamcatcher) plays Wilfred, Molly Parker plays Arlette, and Dylan Schmidt plays Henry.  Netflix is reportedly spending 8 billion on original content next year, so to say they make good quality movies is an understatement.  This movie wasn't exactly anything new or horrfying (it's based on an old stephen king short story, after all), but it is definitely a well-made horror flick.  I wouldn't watch it again (nothing innovative to really draw me back), but it was a fun watch the first time arund.

I'm not sure why i started watching this movie looking for inconsistencies.  As soon as I realized the entire movie was based in 1922, I started looking for wristwatches, smartphones, and anything else I could find to laugh at.  I found nothing in the first few minutes, and then I realized I had stopped looking.  The only problem I really have with the way this movie unfolds, is that the entire thing is essentially one big flashback.  Meh.  I suppose it works, for this story.

SO, managed to catched Syfy's premiere of Superstition, which is probably Syfy's answer to Supernatural, Buffy, or any one of the other "Scooby gang solves supernatural mystery" shows that are on TV nowadays.  I was watching it because of Mario Van Peebles, whom I recall from "Full Eclipse" (one of the few decent werewolf movies I've seen), and it seems like they've pulled a "Sleepy Hollow" on me, yet again.  To explain would only give away the plot of the pilot episode, and I don't want to do that.  I'll keep an eye on Superstition and let you guys know if it's any good.  So far, it's meh.

That's all for tonight.  Catch you guys tomorrow with my next review!  :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Halloween!

And OHMRAT 2023 ends just as it began.  With a quiet whimper.  Sadly, I had no time this month.  Too busy trying to stay alive.  But, I did ...